Committed to Excellence in All Areas
Mr. Michel DesLauriers
– 30+ years in Catholic education in the Archdiocese
– Former principal St. Thomas More Collegiate and VP Vancouver College
– BA, MA.
Active in the promotion of Catholic Education for over 30 years, Mr. DesLauriers served as Principal at St. Thomas More Collegiate in Burnaby prior to being appointed to St. John Paul II Academy. His teaching experience began at St. Thomas More Collegiate in 1981 where he held key positions as a classroom teacher, Athletic Director, Religion Department Head, and Vice-Principal. From 1998 to 2011, he served the community of Vancouver College as Assistant Principal of the Middle School and Co-Campus Minister. He was appointed Principal of St. Thomas More Collegiate in 2011.
In 1981, Mr. DesLauriers graduated from the University of British Columbia with a Bachelor of Recreation Education. In 2011, Mr. DesLauriers was awarded a Masters of Religious Education from St. Mark’s College.
Mr. DesLauriers has made many notable contributions to the Archdiocese of Vancouver as a teacher, parishioner, administrator and highly respected Catholic educator. He and his family are dedicated and actively involved parishioners of St. Bernadette’s Parish in Surrey.
Mrs. Charmaine Jansen
Humanities; French; Campus Minister
– 13+ years experience in Catholic education
– Taught at Little Flower Academy and St. Francis de Sales Elementary
– BA (English, Business), B. Ed., MA (Religious Education)
Mrs. Jansen graduated from Simon Fraser University with a Bachelor of Arts (English major and Business Minor) and Bachelor of Education (Learning Disabilities minor). She also received her graduate degree from St. Mark’s College with a Master’s of Religious Education.
She and her husband (also a high school teacher) are avid outdoors people who have a love for hiking trails with their Labradoodle. An active member of her parish community at Christ the Redeemer parish, Mrs. Jansen is a lector and has been involved in teaching and sponsoring RCIA groups, as well as organizing Children’s liturgy and altar server education at St. Helen’s parish.
Mrs. Aleli Perez
Learning Resource Teacher
– 13+ years experience in Catholic education
– Taught at St. Patrick’s Secondary
– BA (English, Education Psychology)
Mr. Tony Walters
Math / Science; Athletic Director; Career Life Education
– 21+ years experience in Catholic education
– Taught at Cloverdale Catholic Elementary
– MA (Educational Leadership)
Mr. Kevin Beliveau
Social Studies, History, Literature, Religion, Drama
– 26+ years experience in Catholic education
– Taught at Holy Cross, Archbishop Carney and St, John Brebeuf Secondary schools and Vancouver College
– BA (History, English), B. Ed, MA (History)
After nearly twenty years living in Vancouver, Mr. Beliveau moved to White Rock in 2018 and has been a parishioner at the old Star of the Sea Church where he has been a lector for the past year. When he is not in the classroom Mr. Beliveau loves traveling both within Canada and overseas, spending time with his family both near and far including his two nieces who attend Star of the Sea Elementary; B.C. history; and hiking the mountains around the Lower Mainland, Fraser Valley, and Interior of BC.
Mrs. Cindy Akyuz
– 14+ years experience as an engineer in the aerospace industry
– Began teaching in 2010
– P. Eng, B. Eng (Aerospace), MBA, B. Ed
Mrs. Akyuz and her husband have four daughters. The Akyuz family resided in Germany, USA, and Ontario before choosing BC as their home. Mrs. Akyuz played varsity basketball at Carleton University as a point guard and continues to enjoy an active lifestyle.
She is excited to start teaching at St. John Paul II Academy this fall and share her love of all things mathematics and science with a focus on how these important topics are used in various industries every day!
Mrs. Susan Kelly
– Lifelong advocate for Catholic education
– 10+ years experience as an administrative assistant at St. Thomas More Collegiate.
Join SJPII Academy
Become Part of Our Faculty
If you are serious about teaching in the Catholic intellectual tradition, in helping to form intentional servant leaders for our community and church, and are interested in expanding Catholic education in South Surrey, we would like to hear from you.
A Campus for 21st Century Learning
Our New Campus
Work is now underway to build the school’s new campus. Join us in this great endeavour to expand Catholic education in South Surrey. Guarantee your spot today for a future place at the school.